The Stock Market

In my LA class, we usually read a book in class, and then do a project about it. This project was definitely on the weirder side of things we’ve done in LA, but it was also very fun. About a month ago, we started reading an excellent book by Ellen Raskin called the Westing Game. this book is a Cozy mystery, meaning it is like a murder mystery, but without the gory details. One of the characters, Turtle Wexler is interested in gaining money in the stock market, and believes that some of the clues found in the book are the codes for companies to invest in. Our project was about doing what Turtle would’ve done, and investing in stocks and earning some money. We also got to make our own totally real Investment companies!

A picture of my totally not fake company

Before we continue, I would like to say that we never actually invested real money in our class project. 

Although it’s sometimes a better option to buy stocks while they’re down, I decided to buy all stocks that looked like they were at a steady increase in the past month. These stocks included:

1. BRK-B, Berkshire Hathaway

2. SBUX, Starbucks

3.GE, General Electric

4.LULU, Lululemon

5. PANW, Palo Alto Network

6.HD, Home Depot

Although I am not an expert in stocks, and this stategy probably isn’t the best, it has made me totally real and definently not fake 35 dollars and 60 cents as of 5/11/23, and I predict will do better in the coming months.

However, this would be hard to keep track of without a spreadsheet, so we made a spreadsheet! Although not many people use spreadsheets now, they still can be useful and fun, and are big helpers with stocks, or really anything that has to do with money. Making a formula in the spreadsheet was slightly tricky, and reminded me of coding, but it was fun and it made keeping track of our stocks easy.

what my spreadsheet looks like: